Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.
A people called To Know Jesus, To Love Jesus, To Serve Jesus.
Examination of Conscience
An aid to preparing for the Sacrament of Penance
– Do I love God? Do I worship God? Are there false gods I worship by giving them more attention than I give to God (work, money, position, prestige, superstition, possessions?) Do I pray every day? Do I pray on Sundays by participating at Mass? Do I make an effort to grow in faith and in knowledge of my Church and its teachings? Do I thank God for his gifts to me? Am I careful not to use the name of God and the name of Jesus carelessly?
– Do I love others? At home? At work? In my neighborhood? At school? Have I abused anyone – physically or emotionally? Do I speak unkindly to others – or about others? Do I give my parents the respect they deserve? Am I a good and faithful parent? Am I good to my brothers and sisters? Am I faithful to my friends? Do I reach out generously to the poor? Do I share my belongings with friends and family members? Do I try to care for the needs of others before I take care of my own needs? Do I invite other people into my group of friends? Do I exclude other people from my circle of friends? Do I reach out to those who are lonely?
– Have I stolen? Have I taken what does not belong to me? Have I taken anything I have not paid for? Have I damaged what belongs to others? Am I envious or jealous of what other people have? Am I greedy or selfish? Do I place too much importance on material goods? Do I trust that God will provide what I truly need?
– Do I tell the truth? Do I lie? Am I honest with myself? Am I honest with God? Am I honest with my family? Am I honest with my employers? with those with whom I do business? with my teachers? with my classmates? with my friends? Am I fair in my dealings with others? Do I object to injustice when I see it and work to remedy it? Do I cheat? Do I take credit for work that’s not mine? Do I gossip about others? Do I contribute to tearing down the reputations of other people? Do I forgive those who have hurt me? Do I ask forgiveness of those whom I have hurt? Do I hold grudges or resentments?
– Have I taken care of and respected the gift of my body? Have I abused my body and my mind with drugs or alcohol? Have I respected the gift of sexuality that God has given me? Have I respected the sexuality of other persons? Have I been faithful to my spouse in thought, word and deed? Have I taken advantage of another person for my own pleasure? Do I take part in entertainment, Internet sites, conversations or jokes of an inappropriate nature?
– Have I been faithful to my conscience? Have I given in to the pressure of those around me to things I know are wrong? Have I encouraged others to participate in wrongdoing?